Friday, February 3, 2012

Broadcasting again

AT&T has been throttling my bandwidth for the past few months.  As soon as I hit 2 GB, my downloads slow from up to 5 or 6 Mbps to about 120 kbps.  However, my upload speed is unaffected, at around 1 Mbps, so I can still broadcast video.  Therefore, I have decided that I will refrain from broadcasting at the beginning of my billing cycle, until I reach the cap and get throttled.  Then I have no incentive to not use any more bandwidth, since it's still "unlimited".  My billing cycle ends on the 16th, so I will keep broadcasting until then, then take a break until I get throttled again.  

But just the normal, conservative use of an iPhone when I'm driving full-time uses up the bandwidth fairly quickly, even when I'm not broadcasting.  I know that some might think I'm a "data hog" who is slowing down the network, but I do most of my broadcasting late at night, when there is little network traffic, and the rest of the time my usage is just a trickle.  That trickle adds up when you're away from wifi all the time.  The reality is that the problem is not caused by "hogs", but by signing up more users than the capacity of the network.  See this article at Boing Boing.

No comments:

Post a Comment