Saturday, September 10, 2011

New iPhone car mount

I broadcast live video from a cab using my iPhone 4 mounted to the windshield.  I was unable to do so for a few days because my car mount broke.  This was a Boxwave car mount that is customized for iPhone 4s.  I was reluctant to buy the same product, because I might want to get the iPhone 5 whenever it is released, and it probably won't fit, thus I was thinking I'd have to get a new one soon, anyway.  So I opted for the Kensington K39256US Quick Release Car Mount.  I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and am quite pleased.  The flexible "goose neck" arm attaching to the suction cup is longer, making it easier to manipulate into a good position for the camera.  It was the constant attempts to manipulate the old one that broke it.  I can also switch the iPhone's orientation between vertical and horizontal more easily, without having to twist a nut.  It's also easier to remove the iPhone from the cradle and to restore it, and I can even keep it in a case while doing so.  It also came with a mount that attaches to vents, which includes a pivot and tightening nut, and although I don't have much use for it in the cab, I found that it is handy in my Jetta.

I will occasionally be blogging about other iPhone accessories and apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment